This month we hosted The Art and Science of Love couples workshop in Seattle, recognized Mother’s Day by asking our readers to share why they love being a mom, and also celebrated the 20th anniversary of The Gottman Institute with our Master Trainers on Orcas Island.
“Month in Review” is a feature on The Gottman Relationship Blog that gives you the opportunity to recap the news and events of the last month. Below you will find useful information and links from May, including mentions in the media, important announcements, blog postings, class photos, and more.
Rather than looking at the beginning of marriage as the hardest part of the journey, it makes more sense to visualize a newlywed couple at the base of a mountain just beginning their long trek to the summit.
- Verily Magazine: 3 Daily Habits That are Better for Your Marriage Than an Exotic Vacation
- Social Lifestyle Magazine: The Psychology of Micro Expressions
- NewsOk: 5 leadership traits you develop in marriage
- Buzfeed: 16 Real Ways To Stay Crazy In Love After You Have Kids
- Huffington Post: If Love Requires Work, Was it Meant to Be?
- Verily Magazine: Why you Need to Think of Your Marriage Like a Mountain
- Good Men Project: The Story Of Us: The Difference Between Happy & Unhappy Couples
- Bustle: 7 Things That Unhappy Couples Let Slide
- Verily Magazine: 5 Conversations You Need to Have With Your Guy Before Your Wedding Day
- Buzfeed: 16 Pieces Of Relationship Advice Everyone Needs
- Kare11: How to Talk Through Political Differences
- Independent: Relationship experts reveal 6 secrets that help power couples stay together
- Your Tango: Hell Hath No FURY Like A Woman SCORNED
- Bustle: Here’s What Porn Addiction Does To Your Brain — And How To Recover
- Annie Wright Psychotherapy: 7 Key Relationship Insights I’ve Learned As A Couples Counselor
- The Atlantic: Why 13-Year-Old Girls Are the Queens of Eye-Rolling
- Business Insider: A marriage expert says doing these 3 things will help you have successful relationships at home and at work
NEW ON THE GOTTMAN RELATIONSHIP BLOG
Over the years I’ve found many myths about relationships that are not only false but potentially destructive. They are dangerous because they can lead couples down the wrong path, or worse, convince them that their marriage is a hopeless case.
CELEBRATING THE GOTTMAN INSTITUTE’S 20 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
This past weekend, John and Julie Gottman celebrated the 20th anniversary of The Gottman Institute with Etana Kunovsky (Co-Founder), Alan Kunovsky (CEO) and Gottman Master Trainers on Orcas Island, Washington. For 20 years, The Gottman Institute has been dedicated to maintaining greater love and health in relationships through a program of ongoing research, and a commitment to extending our services to people of every race, religion, class, culture, sexual orientation, and ethnicity.
MOTHER’S DAY GIVEAWAY
We held a Mother’s Day Giveaway on social media and asked our fans to share why they love being a mom. Rebecca Eanes of Positive Parenting, Michelle Peterson of #StayMarried, Meygan Caston of Marriage365 and Etana Dykan Kunovsky, co-founder of The Gottman Institute, all contributed to the conversation. As a special treat, Dr. Julie Gottman posted a heartfelt message on Mother’s Day about her experiences with the beauty that is motherhood.
FEATURED INSTAGRAM POST
Are you following us on Instagram? We provide practical skills to strengthen relationships.
More in Month in Review